This is from an article in the Himalayan Times that I read while in Kathmandu back in May.
“Clarity for Success”
- Decide exactly what you want in life. Be specific!
- Write it down, clearly and in detail.
- Set a deadline. If it’s a large goal break it down into sub deadlines.
- Make a list of everything you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal.
- Organize by listing in proper sequence and priority.
- Take action on the most important thing you can do on your plan.
- Do something everyday that moves you toward the attainment of your goal.
MAINTAIN THE MOMENTUM.
It’s been about a week since I set my July Goals and I figure it’s time to for a progress report. Let’s take my goals through the “Clarity for Success” list.
- Decide exactly what you want in life. Be specific! I want to continue recovering from this bout of illness that wiped me out at the end of June. I want to regain my strength and fitness that I lost from being in bed for a few weeks. I want to rebuild my immune system and make it stronger than ever so I don’t have reoccurring health problems.
- Write it down, clearly and in detail. Read July Goals for details.
- Set a deadline. If it’s a large goal break it down into sub deadlines. My deadline is one month but I plan on these goals being lifetime changes. Also, I like to check my progress each week or so.
- Make a list of everything you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal. Plan! Make sure to always have fresh greens and berries available. Plan! Prioritize exercise each day and start early in the day so that it doesn’t get put off until too late. Pause before eating and remind myself to slow down, chew lots, and appreciate what I am feeding my body.
- Organize by listing in proper sequence and priority. I guess I already did this with my July Goals list.
- Take action on the most important thing you can do on your plan. All of it! My goals this month are daily occurrences so I must take action many times each day to follow my plan.
- Do something everyday that moves you toward the attainment of your goal. I have been doing really well with most of my goals. The two where I have really been falling short is with stretching everyday and recording my exercise. Irony is that if I were in fact recording my exercise everyday I would be more motivated to stretch everyday! I have done my yoga routine 3 or 4 times this week (I don’t remember because I didn’t write it down!) but besides that no stretching.
Setting goals is motivating and an important step for achieving clarity on what you want to achieve. Just as important as setting goals is assessing these goals and giving yourself progress reports. By going through the “Clarity for Success” list I realized where I am achieving my goals and where I need to step it up. I will start stretching and recording today!
Only two more days in Portland! Tomorrow we load up the Penske moving truck and Tuesday morning head east! We plan to arrive in West Virginia by the 20th. The truck has to be returned to Charlottesville, VA (our new home!) on the 22nd so after throwing stuff in storage in WV we will make an overnight trip to C-ville (I already sound like a local) to start looking at houses TO BUY!
I am really excited about the move. I am actually looking forward to moving to a completely new place and starting from scratch. I am also looking forward to getting back to teaching! Aerobics studio, here I come!
Today’s exercise is a hike in the Columbia River Gorge, push-ups (I am shooting for 50 today), and STRETCHING (or maybe yoga).