On a whim I bought some powered Spirulina yesterday with the intention of making a green Kombucha. This morning I got a little over-inspired trying to make the healthiest bowl of oats ever.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup water
- 3 T pumpkin
- ~1T chia seeds
- ~1T whole flax seeds
- Spirulina (less than a tps.)
- a few slices of frozen apples
- tsp maple syrup
- topped with a tsp of coconut butter
I can barely taste the spirulina, just as I was hoping, and honestly if it wasn’t for the smell I probably wouldn’t taste it at all. It smelled straight up foul while cooking! The smell will hopefully grow on me though because I think this may be a regular edition!
Spirulina, an algae, is awesome because it’s
- a superior source of plant protein
- the best source of beta carotene (antioxidants)
- rich in iron
- the only source (besides mother’s milk) of Gamma-linolenic acid
- high in B12 (important for non-meat eaters to pay attention to) and a good source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, C, D, and E (whew!)
- a green superfood! All green superfoods are known to be energizing because of their high levels of chlorophyl.
Tate and I are going on a little adventure today. We need a fun day away from C’ville and the clinic so we are driving up to D.C. this morning. Our plan is to meet some old friends for lunch and check out a few museums before driving to Fredricksburg for an evening with the in-laws.
Yay for a city day!
Have a lovely Saturday!