Berry Bliss

Wow.  I have a new favorite dessert.  Seriously, I’d be happy to forgo cake for the rest of my life if I could eat this on a regular basis.

Actually, from now on I will be eating this on a regular basis. :)

Simple. Nutritious. Delicious.

Berry Tart

Makes 4 tarts

Crust

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 8 dates
  • 1 tablespoon water

Chop dates coarsely.  Process chopped dates and oats in a food processor until crumbly.  Add water and process until sticky.

Chocolate Filling

• 2 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil (place jar in hot water to liquify if solid)
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon bee pollen (optional)
  • stevia or honey to taste (I used 1 packet of Truvia)

Mix cocoa, sweetener, and bee pollen (if using) together.

If using bee pollen just know that it will keep its shape, this is not a problem.  If using honey, melt in microwave or on the stove before adding.

Divide dough into 4 equal size balls.  Line 4 muffin cups with papers.  Press dough into bottom of each paper, making an indent in the center and building up a little ridge around the edges to form a crust.  Spoon 1 teaspoon of chocolate into each crust.  Top with berries/fruit of choice.

Place tarts in fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow chocolate to harden.

Eat more berries while you wait.

I used Wine Berries for these tarts because I just happened to have two big bowls of them in my fridge.

Yesterday Tate and I went into the woods and came out with a haul of berries, scratched legs, stained fingers, and antioxidant-happy tummies.  I’ve already frozen a few pints, eaten them in overnight oats, and the stash is still flush!  Love berry season.

Tarts.  When the chocolate is firm, remove from paper and serve.

These tarts are soft and doughy with a nice crunchy contrast from the berry seeds.  They are sweet from the dates, rich from the coconut oil, and fresh from the berries.  In other words, everything I want out of dessert!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in dessert, recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Berry Bliss

1. Johanna B says:

Wow, and even I can eat this with the nice fresh certified gluten-free oats I bought this weekend. and I love berries, too.

2. Jess says:

Yeah, I am so making these tonight.

3. Kath says:

I’m on my way over with an open mouth!!

• I have this ridiculous image of you showing up at my back door and me feeding you a tart by playing airplane-you know, like a little kid-coming in for a landing. Was that an overshare? These WILL be making an appearance on your table soon. :)

4. These sound so good and SO easy! It’s also a good basic recipe that could be used in a lot of different ways. Thanks so much, Faith!!

• I know, I was tempted to go nuts with the variations for this post but restrained myself because I wanted to highlight how simple they are to make. I am looking forward to all kinds of combos as the summer progresses, peach season is coming up and figs-can’t forget about figs! I also plan to play around with some herbal additions, lavender would go nicely with blueberries… have fun and enjoy! Let me know about any can’t-be-missed variations you come up with.

5. Those look delicious! I’ll be trying them soon and will report back. Thanks for the fun recipe :)

6. Pingback: Ingredient of the Week: Dates | Keeping It Real Food

7. Cait's Plate says:

These are SO cute! What an adorable and creative idea :)

8. What beautiful photos!! Really nice. These just look divine :) Can I have one?? pretty please with berries on top?

• Sure! Come on over and I’ll make a batch just for you :). Thanks for the photo complements! My Mac just died and the Toshiba I’m using has weird color so I’m glad they looked good on your monitor!

9. These sound super delicious! (And look beautiful!)

I will try to make them this long holiday weekend (i.e. – when I have more time!). :)

~

10. Grace, I just made these tonight after buying some fresh local raspberries today. THey were delish. I smashed up my berries and added a touch of sugar bc I just wanted more of a jam substance than full berries. I also only had 2 dates and used a little more than 1/2 cup of oats and they turned out beautifully. Perfect dessert. THanks so much!

11. Grace, I just made these tonight after buying some fresh local raspberries today. THey were delish. I smashed up my berries and added a touch of sugar bc I just wanted more of a jam substance than full berries. I also only had 2 dates and used a little more than 1/2 cup of oats and they turned out beautifully. Perfect dessert. THanks so much!

*My last comment was with the wrong blog link so I’m sending this comment again. Thanks!

12. Give up cake? now thats strong words right there! But if these are half as delicious as they look i think you are justified in saying this :) So beautiful, and a really unique recipe. Lovely post and blog indeed :)

13. Deeba Rajpal says:

These are stunning… I love that they are no bake, gluten free and vegetarian too. Beautiful pictures!

14. purabinahaha says:

That’s a real good recipe! These look so tempting indeed!

15. Pingback: oat date balls « The Talking Kitchen

16. Pingback: sugar free walnut date squares with chocolate frosting | the talking kitchen

17. Pingback: Almond Delight | Gracefulfitness

18. Pingback: Recipe Reover: Oat Pecan Butter Balls - the talking kitchen

19. Karine says:

Thank you so much to make our life so much easier and so greedy! I love tarts and cakes but it so difficult to find receipe not to sweet or not too long or difficult to cook. Thanks to your wonderful receipes I solved my problems! And I can enjoy without feeling guilty!