I also like to defy stereotypes. I’m a mighty fine griller.
Still no electricity and a desire for my daily dose of eggs lead me to backyard and a delicious lunch.
|Grilled Summer Strata|
- One large bell pepper, carefully halved and seeded
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices of whole grain bread, torn into pieces
- fresh herbs, I used basil and chives
- 1-2 ounces of chopped cheese, I used extra sharp cheddar
- fresh ground pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt
- Whisk eggs, stir in bread, cheese, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place pepper halves on a medium-low heat grill, trying to get them as level as possible. Carefully spoon in egg mixture. Cook until egg sets, about 20 minutes.
Watch the heat on the grill. You want to find the sweet spot where there’s enough heat to cook the egg but not burn the bottom of the pepper.
Served with garden zucchini, the first tomato of the season, and sun tea.
Happy 4th fellow Americans, have fun and be safe!