A rainy Sunday lead me directly into the kitchen for a little baking and catching up on The Splendid Table.
Spring has come so early (wait, did we even have a winter?) to Central Virginia this year that I wanted to savor what may be my last opportunity to use the oven until pumpkin season. Soon enough even the top burners will cause me to break a sweat and I will be relegated to salads and grilling.
But yesterday was dark and stormy and perfect for baking.
Yet Spring was still on my brain as cherry blossoms fluttered through the air, snowing down on the yard as the rain gently pulled them off the branches.
So I compromised and made a very Spring-inspired muffin while spending a winter-like morning in the kitchen.
I’m calling them muffins but they could easily be transformed into cupcakes with a little icing.
Coconut Lemon Muffins
Gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free
Prep time: Less than 15 minutes Bake time: 50-60 minutes
Preheat the oven to 350*
[These babies take a long time to bake so I highly recommend doubling up on your oven and throwing some potatoes/tofu/kale chips/lasagna/whathaveyou in there as well for more energy efficiency]
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 Meyer lemon, thinly sliced (optional*)
- whisk first three ingredients (the dry) together.
- stir in the wet, except the eggs
- add eggs and Meyer lemon if using (pictured below)
- stir until batter is smooth and even
- butter or coconut oil six muffin cups
- divide batter evenly between cups and put on top rake in the oven
- start checking after about 45 minutes, muffins are done when edges are brown but not black
- let cool in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes before removing and finishing cooling on a rack
Without gluten to hold them together these muffins are a little more delicate than most but they are moist and very reminiscent to cheesecake, thanks to the combo of lemon and vanilla.
*The Meyer lemon adds an extra burst of citrus and a nice little texture to the muffins but it is bitter with the peel and all so if that doesn’t appeal to you leave it out.
If you want to run with the cheesecake theme I fully support whipping up a cream cheese frosting. 🙂
Time to go plan my dance class! #iwillmovetoday