My courtship with salad dressing has been long and slow.
For the longest time I liked my greens dry. Then little sprinkles of salt and pepper made their way to my bowl. Next came the vinegar phase, which was eventually joined by a little olive oil. Ultimately, my palate shifted and my salads are now dressed to the nines.
In fact, these days one of my favorite parts of making salad meals is whisking up the dressing.
Today’s key ingredient was lime to enhance the southwestern theme of black beans and avocado.
|Miso-Lime Salad Dressing||
- zest from 2 limes
- juice from two limes
- 2 tablespoons light miso (soy or chickpea)
- 1 tablespoon mango jelly or honey
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- whisk everything except the olive oil together in a small bowl or jar. keep whisking as you drizzle in oil.
Miso, jelly, and nutritional yeast are staples in my dressings these days, they all add a nice thickness and aid in keeping the mixture emulsified.
Miso also adds probiotics and the nutritional yeast provides a great dose of B vitamins and protein.
I still haven’t braved ranch or ceasar but I know better than to say I never will!
What’s your salad dressing staple?